Join art and literature lecturer, Karen Imarisio, for a fascinating portrait of artist Mary Cassatt and other female artists in Paris including Cassatt's unique artistic relationship with Edgar Degas.
Create a maze and see if your HEXBUG Nano Nitro can escape or build a track and have a HEXBUG race with a friend. Either way, you'll have fun using these robotic creatures. Grades 1-3.
Join us every month as we watch anime, talk about manga, eat snacks, and do other fun activities.
The renovation of Birkerts Addition, which continues to be closed off to the public, has made great progress in the last month:
- Exterior windows are now in place and are bringing natural light into the wing.
- Glass walls for the three new study rooms has been installed. These collaboration spaces will be equipped with monitors and a port to connect personal devices to the monitor for easy viewing.
- The ceiling in the Adult Services area has been completed and painted. Electricians are installing light fixtures throughout the space.
- The book sorter room has a new glass wall that will make this popular room visible from inside the building. This room will be carpeted next week and we anticipate that the book sorter will be up and running again during the week of April 24.
- The new computer lab and makerspace are nearly complete. The spaces now have freshly painted walls, new carpeting, glass walls and doors, and a new ventilation unit. On Monday, April 17, the public computers will be temporarily relocated to this space while we await the end of the construction project.
- Construction in the front entrance and hallway is underway. The ceiling is nearly complete, the white paint on the original brick building is being stripped away, and the wall behind our Glen Michaels sculpture has been painted.
- Carpet installation in the Adult Services area and front entrance will begin on April 20.
As work wraps up in the Birkerts addition, new work will begin in the Grand Hall.
- On April 17, the Harry Allen Room will be closed off to the public to begin restoration of the original window. The Birmingham map will be relocated to the Jeanne Lloyd Room.
- On the evening of April 18, work will begin on the transformation of the former Gryphon Room and Adult Services office to the new Claudia E. Ireland Reading Room.
The project is running on time and the anticipated end date is May 2017. We apologize for the dust, noise, and other inconveniences.
To receive updates about the renovation, please sign up for Baldwin's Renovation Updates email list.